If you want peonies to bloom well in the coming year, the maintenance and management in the winter should not be ignored. Peony winter maintenance management mainly includes: remove dry leaves peony, pruning peony branches, peony fertilization methods, peony pest control, remove overwintering weeds and other work to be done.
1. Defoliation. Leaves dry in winter, often on branches. Because there are many bacteria and insects on the leaves eggs, it should be cut off in time, so as not to fall to the ground, the next year to spread diseases and insects. The dead leaves should be cut off at the base of the Petiole from 1 to 1.5 cm to avoid damage to the flower buds. For the leaves that are easy to fall off after separation, pull them out by hand. Dead leaves that have been cut off or plucked should be burned.
2. Prune. Peonies are dormant in the winter, when it’s time to Prune. On the premise of keeping the shape of the plant perfectly, the budding branches from the ground around the main branch and the overlapping branches, crossed branches and diseased branches on the plant should be cut off. The strong branches with flower buds should be kept completely; the branches with Leaf Buds but without flower buds should be cut off only the thin branches, while retaining part of the thicker branches. In short, the tree peony tree branches to make the appropriate length and density, easy to ventilate light.
3. Fertilize. Peony is like fat flowers and trees, winter dormancy period even if more fertilizer applied, it will not produce the phenomenon of burning roots. But in order to be safe, fertilization should be half-decomposed cake fertilizer or human excrement and urine. Each tree from 6 to 10 years old can be applied cake fertilizer 300 grams or 600 grams of human excrement and urine. The amount of fertilizer applied to big tree peony should be increased appropriately. In the case of organic fertilizer-based, each tree peony can also be mixed with 30 to 50 grams of compound fertilizer. Fertilization should be carried out in shallow holes dug 10 cm apart from the main root of the peony at 20-25 cm.
4. Pest control. The common diseases of tree peony are gray mold and brown spot. In winter, the whole plant can be controlled by spraying the mixture of Pomerol 5 and thiophanate 800 times. The most serious pests to the peony are scale blowers and GRUBS (scarabs larvae) . For the control of Hemiberlesia Rugosa, all the insect bodies on the branches can be scraped off and burned off with bamboo knife, and then the branches can be smeared with a mixture of bomay 3-5 degree lime and sulfur, which can kill most of the overwintering females and eggs. Omethoate or DDVP 500-800 solution can be used to control Grub by pouring peony root.
5. Weed out overwintering weeds. In winter, cold-resistant weeds are often found in peony garden or potted Peony Pot, which should be removed in time to avoid competing with peony for nutrients. It is better to deeply hoe the planting area of peony once or twice, which can not only clear the weeds, but also play the role of soil loosening and soil moisture preservation, which is beneficial to the over-wintering of peony.